Sunday, December 20, 2009

Street Style




What is up with the explosion of street style blogs?


Okay, yes, I read a few of them. And, like everyone else, I started with The Sartorialist. Whatever. But that was a sort of novel blog back in a time when (a) he actually featured "street" style, ie. not just people in the fashion industry, and (b) everyone and their mother didn't have a street style blog back then. So it was something interesting. I'm not sure that Scott Schuman invented the street style blog per se. I'm just saying there was something actually fresh about it to me. Remember posts like this? Or this? So great! Now it seems like he shoots only industry people, which is totally boring and also unfair. What is the glory in being a really well-dressed heiress? (Well, to be fair, I guess not every heiress knows how to dress. Evidence.)

Anyway, style blogs. What I hate about current real street style blogs is that everyone in them seems to look the same to me. It is just a bunch of 14 year olds with too many studs on their Forever 21 sheath dresses. I'm not saying there's not something to be learned, but I can take only so much Jenny Humphrey. I thought the point of street style was to capture the diversity of looks out there, and to show the billion and one ways that people rock their various weirdo duds successfully. Not to do your best 'rexic adolescent queen bee impression.

I guess I have to get used to street style blogs as a form of entertainment, since they have apparently become a mainstay, but, ladies, please remember not to dress like any of the children in those blogs. Yes, those jeggings do make you look fat! And, no, it is not okay to wear your Doc Martens anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment