Saturday, December 19, 2009

Rodarte for Togarte


The Rodarte for Target line is on sale tomorrow.

I sort of have a love/hate relationship with these diffusion lines. At first I thought they were cool, since I could pretend to own something from Stella McCartney, or Behnaz Sarafpour, or whomever. But over time I have grown seriously bored of them. Not only are the diffusion pieces made kind of poorly, but they seem to be cut on the same mass-scale model of a woman's body that other clothes at Target or H&M are cut on. This means generally uninspired fits for the clothing. Also, the pieces can never be as edgy as any designer's normal line because they have to be sell-able pieces for Targets or H&Ms all over...which means they can be a little yawnsville. Not that I'm out there making fashion history with my avant-gardism, but there's a reason that people who blog about clothes actually elect to do this, right? So that we can egg each other on with our strange sartorialisms.

That said, I can't deny the thrill of owning a piece that one or both of the Mulleavy sisters herself designed (or at least I am led to believe that one of them designed it)! The designs are playful and dark, which is, uh, kind of my thing.

I mean, I don't want to like the rib cage dress, but I do. I justify this by imagining that this dress is a "cunning statement about the industry and its ludicrous standards" (I'm pretty sure it's not, but I'm trying to make an argument for its being okay that I like it even though I'm about 13 years too old to get it). As for the second outfit, I'd look like a tool in it (as would most - hello, poor styling), but the cardigan looks like it's nice and gauzy -- which is precisely the way I like my mustard sweaters.

Update: As of 9:30 am (eastern!) on Sunday, basically anything worth wanting from the Rodarte for Target collection was out of stock on Target's website. whoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment